Tuesday 19 June 2012

Fruit pie


I really want to make a fruit pie for so long. So, yesterday I bought kiwi, strawberries, mandarins, and grapes for this 'project'. I put them in the fridge while I was doing my pie crust. I still used the same recipe as before. You could see it here. Finish kneading the crust, I put it beside the fruits in the fridge. Due to something else I had to go outside for a while.
Shortly after I back home I continued dealing with my pie dough. Rolled it, cut it and pressed it in my mini pie pans. Then prick the bottom of the pie with a fork. Done. Popped them in the oven.
Next, the custard...

250 ml milk
50 gr sugar
25 gr corn flour (maizena)
1 egg yolk
1 tbs margarine
1/4 tsp vanilla essence

In a saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and cornflour. Stir constantly until it just come to the boil. Off the stove.
Take a little bit of the mixture and pour in the egg yolk. Stir it quickly.
Pour it back to the mixture. On the stove again. Stir until it bubbling. Add the margarine and vanilla.  Stir constantly until it smooth. Remove from the heat, cover the saucepan with plastic wrap and let it cool.
Spoon it in the piping bag.


I transferred the pie crusts from the oven to a wire rack to cool. Oh God, they are beautifully flaky and golden brown. I think I am getting better and better in making pie crust...^^... Yaaay... Big smile spread on my face...
Then I went to the fridge to take the fruits. But, whatta??? Only kiwi were sitting there. Where are my Strawberries? And the grapes? And the mandarins? Oh dear, my little girl ate them all... What should I do? I tried to see other fruits in my fridge. Yes, there were pepaya and red cherries, also 2 bananas on the table. But they didn't work at all.


See... It's kinda funny to have them on a pie...
Then, I have another idea. Just pipe the custard on the pie crust. Slice the kiwi, put them on the left and the right side of the pie as the wings. Cut the red cherries in oval and small rectangles/circles shape. Put them in the middle of the pie as the body and the head. Fly high my butterfly...



They are soooo beautiful, aren't they?

Source for the custard: Tabloid saji

No comments:

Post a Comment